Senior Third Team

Senior Third Team

Fixtures 2017-Division  Thames Valley


Captain & Contact Details

Position Name Contact Details
Vice Captain
Nathan Hopkins 07792-378134

Results & Reports


18th July 2015

Henley 3rds make it two wins in two

Henley 3rds made the trip to face Thatcham 2nds last Saturday. After beating North Maidenhead in the previous week the team went in with a growing amount of confidence. Being asked to field first on a wicket that offered little for the bowlers and a lightning quick outfield set a hard task first up. Neville and Laing opened up the bowling and failed to make any inroads, with the Thatcham openers looking comfortable and well set to post a big score. Adam Garrod on his first appearance for the 3rd team bowled well, collecting his first wicket from a good catch at cover by Gurung. Captain Tom Chappell was introduced himself into the fray and soon collected two wickets from the variety of his Leg Spin. Ranger also chipping in with a wicket. Thatcham though continued to mount a serious total, there batsmen Wylie eventually ending up on 71, caught by keeper Manoharan from the now medium pace of Tom Chappell. Opener Neville returned late on to take two wickets, but with a score of 284 off 48 overs declared it looked a daunting task for Henley.

The task of chasing the runs was made easier by openers Kenworthy and Hopkins. Putting on a calm partnership of 88 to set the innings up for the team. Hopkins attacking on the front foot from the off and making 80 runs, in what should have been his first league hundred for the club. Numbers 3 and 4 in Ranger and Gurung soon took hold of the innings. Making sure that Henley were never behind the run rate. Panic soon set in, after Ranger made some gutsy blows for 58 and was out stumped, Gurung at the other end left two of his team mates stranded. Manoharan and Johnson were run out. Short cameos from Tom Chappell and Neville supporting Gurung, who made 50 meant it was set up in the last over, Henley needing nine runs to win. The confidence of youth from Hugo Laing meant with a four in the last over and some quick running between the wickets, one run was needed off the last ball. Laing charging down the wicket got some contact on the ball and with Neville backing up, Henley came out of the game victorious and move out of the relegation zone.

16 May 2015

Palihawadana Punishes Thatcham Town

Henley 3rds registered their first win of the season with a comfortable win over Thatcham Town 2nds at Nettlebed.

After losing the toss and being asked to bat first Henley lost Smith for 0 in the 2nd over. After the loss of Palmer in the 11th over, Knight joined Hamid in a 104 run partnership that put Henley into a dominant position. Both batsman looked untroubled until Knight was bowled for 56 looking to increase the run rate. A breezy cameo from Ranger and a quickfire 31 from Chappell enabled Henley to declare an over early with 222-5 on the board. Hamid’s elegant 86 provided the foundation of a good batting performance.

In reply Tatcham were immediately in trouble as Palihawadana took two quick wickets by swinging the ball both ways. However, Tatcham dug in and with the aid of some wayward Henley bowling they looked to be on course for victory at 107-2. But it was the introduction of Ranger’s leg-spin that changed the course of the game, first with the stumping of Gale, then by bowling Howell for 79 with a googly. Palihawadana was re-introduced and in tandem with Ranger took Henley to victory as Tatcham collapsed, losing 6 wickets for 22 runs.

In the end a comfortably victory for Henley 3rds build on a solid batting display followed up by the impressive Palihawadana and the irrepressible Ranger. Hopefully a sign of things to come for the remainder of the season.


Kenworthy Ties Newbury In Knots

Henley Thirds travelled to Newbury on Saturday looking to kick start their league campaign. Having not been covered the previous night the pitch was wet and on winning yet another toss captain Tom Chappell asked Newbury to bat. A tight opening spell from Hopkins meant that Newbury found scoring difficult. Harris-White also bowled a good spell which meant Newbury were only scoring at 1.5 an over. However, it was not until the introduction of Kenworthy did Henley start to pick up wickets regularly. He returned with excellent figures of 6-56. Newbury were bowled out for 176 and only managed this total due to strong hitting from the lower order and uncharacteristic poor fielding.
In reply Henley got off to a circumspect start. Openers Chappell and Kenworthy took 20 overs to score 50 but kept vital wickets in hand. The in-form Gurung (52*) and Ranger took over and upped the rate. When Ranger holed out, and Oldershaw’s breezy cameo came to an end, Hopkins joined Gurung and guided Henley to within 3 runs of the target. Hopkins perished trying to win the game with a 6 and it was left to Johnson to win the game with 4 balls remaining. A vital win for Henley which all but guarantees safety.



Henley lose high scoring match in the final over

Henley 3XI lost in the final over of a high scoring match away at Theale and Tilehurst. Henley won the toss and batted first and found themselves 3-2 after 2 overs but them a 107 run partnership between Gurung (75) and Dan Hayden (56) settled the nerves. Henley continued to build a high total taking advantage of the good batting wicket and fast outfield. After both players were dismissed there saw some acceleration by Hopkins (77*) and Manoharan (33*). This meant that Henley declared on 270-5 off 48 overs.

Henley took the old ball in the hope of taking some early wickets, but only created a difficult chance that was dropped at silly point, as Theale and Tilehurst built a strong opening partnership. The new ball also failed to make the breakthrough but Dan Hayden forced an error immediately after drinks and Henley attempted to seize back the initiative. Wickets fell at regular intervals but the runs also were flowing as the batsmen kept up with the scoring rate. The reintroduction of spin from Ashley Hayden and Tahir Kazmi brought Henley back ahead and then Birkett (3-50) took 2 quick wickets leaving Theale 60 runs in the last 10 overs with 2 wickets remaining. It went down to the final over with 6 needed to win and 1 wicket remaining after Birkett’s superb yorker broke the partnership in the penultimate over and then confusion in the field meant that a chance of a catch went to ground with 4 runs to win and from the following ball the Theale number 11 hit a boundary to seal victory by 1 wicket with 2 balls remaining. This was very entertaining match which Henley were unfortunate to lose. They will be hoping to overcome the disappointment of letting the chance slip through their fingers when they take on Purley at home on Saturday.



Wargrave Hang on to Deny Henley

Henley Thirds made the short trip down the Wargrave Road to face their neighbours in a tightly contested match. Sitting just above Henley in the league, Wargrave won the toss on what looked a very good pitch to bat on and immediately had Henley in trouble as Skipper Tom Chappell perished to the first ball of the match. This bought Price to the wicket and he batted all the way through to the end of the innings. With the score on 118-5 he was joined by Dan Hayden. In a partnership of 110, Hayden who scored 70 in quick time, turned a potentially dangerous situation for Henley into a good score. Henley ended the innings on 244-8 with Price ending on a superb 86 not out.

Wargrave got off to a fast start in reply as Henley took the old ball. The legspin of Hussain accounted for the dangerous Sohi. Henley proceeded to take the new ball as Wright and Birkett picked up a wicket each. Opener Taylor was still there and Wargrave looked like they could chase down the total. Tahir Kazmi put paid to that with 3 wickets in his spell of legspin bowling in tandem with Kenworthy who tightened things up. Henley were now the only team who could win and when Taylor was removed for 99 to a remarkable behind the back catch from Wicket Keeper Vickers, Henley looked sure to win the game. However, Wargrave’s last pair survived the last 6 overs to hang on for a draw and deny Henley the win.



Henley 3rds fail to make opportunities count

Henley 3rds travelled to Wokingham to face the Wokingham 2nd team. Winning the toss captain Tom Chappell decided to bowl first with the wicket looking green and with early wickets looking possible. With Ed Birkett and Nathan Hopkins opening the bowling it was Birkett who struck first in the opening over with the decision from the captain to bowl first looking fruitful. A further three wickets from Birkett and restrictive bowling from Andrew Chappell and Tahir Kazme both gaining a wicket each. With Wokingham 80-6 it looked that Henley would bowl Wokingham out for a mediocre score, but an effective partnership from two of the Wokingham batsmen meant that the target that Henley would have to chase was increasing. Two late wickets from the skipper meant that Wokingham finished on 211-8, a far higher score than Henley would have hoped for earlier on in the innings.

Chasing the target Henley faced an uphill start losing opener Ben Francis early into the innings. A fruitful partnership between Tom Chappell and Alex Price steadied the ship and it looked like Henley were headed towards victory with plenty of batting left down the order. But with the partnership being broken when Tom Chappell was bowled, Henley had a collapse and lost Gurung, Vickers and Price within quick succession of each other. With Wokingham headed towards victory, Manoharan and Knight once again made the game ebb back towards Henley, with looking like victory would come Henley’s way. As the game headed towards its conclusion Henley lost Manoharan, Hopkins, Knight and Kazme to leave Henley staring down the barrel of a loss. It was left to Andrew Chappell and Ed Birkett to face the last overs to secure a draw. Henley face Wargrave this Saturday (12th)



Henley survive scare to secure vital win against Falkland


Henley Thirds entertained Falkland Seconds at Shiplake College on an afternoon which could prove vital to their league ambitions. With rain falling during the early afternoon play could not start until 3.15 with the match reduced to a 70 over game. Falkland elected to bat on winning the toss and were soon in trouble as Neville and Hopkins claimed two soft wickets in the first two overs. Neville was particularly troubling the Falkland batsmen with his inswing and picked up another scalp. Falkland’s innings took another turn for the worse as spinners Kazmi and Hayden were introduced into the attack. Kazmi bowled very impressively altering his pace and flight to good effect, managing to pick up 5-33. Falkland were bowled out for 96.

In reply Henley good off to a good start with openers Chappell and Price looking untroubled. However, the Falkland spinners started to to cause problems as Henley’s middle order collapsed. Nathan Hopkins hit an important 22 but was bowled with the score on 90. It was left to Hayden and Neville to guide Henley over the line. With every other match in Division 3A cancelled Henley move up to 3rd, 10 points behind Wokingham who they play on Saturday.



Lack of Runs Costs Henley Dear

Henley Thirds finally played their first home fixture of the season against Royal Ascot on Saturday at Nettlebed after three washouts. Having won their previous two fixtures this season, Henley won the toss and chose to bat on a good looking pitch. Openers Chappell and Hopkins found it relatively easy in the first ten 10 overs and were untroubled until the later misjudged a huge drive and skied a simple catch. This brought Ward to the wicket who soon departed for a duck with an injudicious drive to point and Boyce soon followed when trying to hit the excellent May to somewhere near Watlington. May, who bowled excellently in tandem with Summers while Henley sought to rebuild the innings, also ended Chappell’s resistance for 34. Legg, playing with maturity beyond his years, was joined by Ranger in a stand of 103 which took Henley up to a competitive, yet below par 184-5 after Legg was run out for 51. Ranger’s clean ball striking was the main reason behind Henley’s acceleration in the last 15 overs and ended on a fine 66 not out but it was the loss of 3 quick wickets in the middle of the innings which caused the below par total.

In reply Royal Ascot were always in control although losing early wickets to an LBW to Birkett and a Ranger googly the crucial partnership of Wensley and Sweetman meant that Henley never really looked like creating panic in the Ascot ranks. Hayden took 2 wickets with his off-spin and Ascot ended up 6 down reaching their target with 3 overs to spare. In the end it was the lack of runs that cost Henley and the fact that 34 extras were conceded. Next up is Falkland at Home on Saturday.


Thirds Beat Purley in a Low Scorer

TVL Division 3A, Week 4 vs Purley-on-Thames 2nds (Away)
Venue: Goosecroft Ground, Purley
Weather: Cloudy but warm

Toss Won by: Henley 3rds who elected to bowl

Henley Thirds made it two wins from two games played so far this season by overcoming Purley in a low scoring game at  The Goosecroft Ground, Purley. Skipper Tom Chappell won an important toss and inserted Purley on a damp and slow wicket. The smart opening bowling of Wright and Birkett soon had Purley in trouble at 12 for 4 , with Wright taking three and Birkett one wicket. Wright was particularly effective with accurate and fast bowling that Purley had few answers to. Dan Hayden and John Neville kept the pressure on with Hayden’s swing bowling inducing several false shots from the Purley batsmen. With some fine Henley catching, and good wicket keeping by Homewood , Hayden ended with five wickets for 31 runs . Purley were all out for 68 runs. A score of anything over 100 would have been a tough target on such a damp wicket and slow outfield.

Henley knew that low scores could be dangerous and so it proved as at one stage they were 20 for 4 chasing Purley’s low total. Two run outs and a stumping didn’t help Henley’s cause but a solid 32 not out from Henley’s in form Nathan Hopkins saw them home with four wickets to spare. Henley has a home game versus Newbury at Nettlebed this Saturday with fingers crossed that the ground can dry out in time.


Thirds Smash Eversley

TVL Division 3A, Week 2 vs Eversley 2nds (Away)
Venue: Eversley Cross Green
Weather: Sunny
Toss Won by: Henley 3rds who elected to bat

Henley 3rds: 250-3 dec (51 overs) (Price 75*, Gurung 58)
Eversley 2nds: 155 all out (34.1 overs) (Hopkins 2-12, D.Hayden 2-21, Neville 2-30, A.Hayden 2-42)

On a beautiful early summer’s day, Henley 3rds travelled to Eversley 2nds, looking to make a good start to the season after the previous weekend’s washout. On a good looking batting track and warm conditions, Tom Chappell won the toss and elected to bat. He and fellow opener Rob Kenworthy sought to build a solid foundation for the rest of the innings and were going about things comfortably, if a little slowly, until Chappell was adjudged LBW for 19. Kenworthy, now joined by Alex Price, upped the run rate with some fine off-side drives but was accounted for by the left-arm spin of Glaze when looked set to make a big score. Meanwhile, Price (75*) was making serene progress at the other end and now joined by Prakash Gurung (58) set about the Eversley bowling with style with the game’s key partnership of 118. Eversley were unable to stifle both batsmen and Price in particular looked in fantastic touch all innings. With the knowledge that it was a good batting surface, when Gurung was bowled by Sharp in the 47th over with the score on 213, Glenford Boyce (31*) arrived at the crease under instructions to cause mayhem. He duly delivered with some lusty blows, including one huge maximum clearing the longest boundary by some distance. His innings had a demoralising effect on Eversley and allowed Henley to declare an over early with the score on 250-3

The decision to take the old ball provided dividends as Henley took 3 wickets, Ashley Hayden taking 2 with his excellent off-spin, before taking the new one. The seamers then took over, John Neville took 2 wickets in 2 balls ripping through Eversley’s middle order with Dan Hayden also taking a couple of scalps. Victory was ensured when Nathan Hopkins removed the stubborn resistance of Howarth with a fine caught and bowled. It was left to Gurung to run out Sharpe to leave Henley with a comprehensive victory and a very promising start to the new campaign.


How Out







R. Kenworthy

Ct Hammond



A. Price

Not Out


P. Gurung




G. Boyce

Not Out







How Out



G. Cummings


A. Hayden


B. Saville

ct A. Hayden



S. Green


A. Hayden


S. Edwards

ct Gurung



T. Howarth

ct + Bowled



T. Edwards




J. Hammond


D. Hayden


S. Glaze

ct Kenworthy

D. Hayden


M. Reardon-Brown

Not Out


D. Tucker




L. Sharp

Run Out








Henley beat Royal Ascot with 10 men……….AGAIN!!!!!

Henley 3s won the toss and elected to bowl first on a damp pitch with heavy rain forecast and only 10 players. Hopkins and Schenk took the new ball and looked dangerous but the Ascot openers, including Henley’s curator King dug in and made an opening partnership of 51 before Schenk got the breakthrough of King caught LBW on one that arguably kept a tad low. After only one more Ascot run Very managed to catch Miller who spooned one high off Hopkins.

With 2 new batsmen at the crease Henley were able to apply some pressure and runs dried up with the guile of Palmer and Ranger not giving much away, resulting in a fine diving catch by Ranger at square leg to dismiss Wensley for 23. The inevitable happened and rain interrupted play, but after the short break the Ascot batsmen Sweetman and Ellison really applied themselves and got into the bowling of Ranger and Palmer. Some hard hitting from the middle order and two missed opportunities behind the stumps got Ascot up to 162 before the fall of the fourth wicket of Sweetman, caught by Gurung off Palmers bowling for 38, who should have also been caught previously in the deep by Ranger.

The return of seam bowling from the opener Hopkins brought further terror to the away team, and bowled Ascots top scorer Ellison’s off stump on 49 who look set for a big score. Henley into the heart of the Ascot batting line up got 2 run outs in quick succession after some suspect calling decisions and great fielding including a direct hit from Budhaayer.

Ascot ended up on 213-9 declaring at 49 overs. Henley had 49 overs to get the target due to the 2 over reduction because of the rain delays. Starting with intent both Smith and Very looked in good nick until the stumping of Smith out for only 13. Hopkins in at 3 started with 2 fours through the covers and supported Very who was playing some exquisite cricket. Hopkins was then out for 10 bowled by Barlow. Henley’s superstar number four, Nepalese international Budhaayer wasn’t hanging about and got going from ball one. With Verry and Budhaayer playing shots all around the park the Ascot bowlers were struggling. Verry reached his half century shortly followed by Budhaayer who reached it off 33 balls only to be adjudged LBW the next delivery.

Gurung the next man in stayed with Very until the latter was bowled after a fine innings of 63. This brought keeper-batsmen Manoharan into the game. A short but sweet 14 was added to the total before being caught trying to push on. Chappell met his companion Gurung out at the wicket. Both played sensible cricket and saw Henley home with 25 and 17 respectively. A key 5 wicket win for the 3rd team who seem to have secured their place in next year’s division 3a of the Thames Valley League.


Chalfont get ‘Rangered’


 Henley 3rds lost their Div 3a fixture at Chalfont St Peter on Saturday despite one of the most remarkable performances seen for Henley. Having won the toss on a good pitch the visitors were soon in trouble losing both openers with 33 on the board, but the balance was restored somewhat with fine 50 partnership between the experienced Paul Smith (36) and the classy Naresh Budhaayer (65). Once Smith was caught behind Manoharan joined the battle with Budhaayer.

The introduction of Nadeen to the bowling attack had an immediate effect removing three Henley batsmen within three overs. With their middle order blown away the visitors were teetering on the brink at 138 for 6, with Budhaayer holding firm.

Henley struggled to get the tight off spin of Din away as he chipped away at the lower order and they fell short of their minimum 200 target by 10 runs. Some hard work was required for Henley to defend this modest total.

Electing to take the old ball which resembled a much loved toy of a pack of Rottweilers, spinners Ranger and Gurung had little effect on this good batting pitch against some very good players of spin. Despite numerous bowling changes the break through seemed elusive.

It was only until the new ball was taken by Nathan Hopkins that any in roads were made as he struck with his first delivery having Ahmed caught by Gurung at cover. Despite this wicket Chalfont appeared to be moving serenely towards the finish line and Henley to a crushing defeat as opener Din cruised to his hundred.

The Henley skipper desperately changed his bowlers to try to find a combination to make this game competitive and found the answer in young leg spinner Sam Ranger. He struck straight away enticing Din to hit a return catch. In his next few overs he struck with regularity taking 4 wickets in one over including a hat trick.

With 15 runs needed to win panic was setting into the Chalfont dressing room. Could Henley snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? As Ranger continued his one man demolition job on the home side taking 2 further wickets things were looking hopeful but it was sadly Henley’s lack of runs that lost them the game as Chalfont crept home by only 2 wickets. Sam Ranger finishing with career best figures of 7-51.

12 points from this game still leaves Henley in 6th position with a vital home game next week against Royal Ascot.



Budhaayer & Homewood shine during loss


Henley 3rds lost at Div 3a league leaders Stoke Green on Saturday. Having won the toss on a damp wicket the visitors appeared to have the upper hand when they elected to field. This situation however was soon lost as all the Henley bowlers struggled to find their length and maintain sustained periods of pressure.

This resulted in Stoke Green compiling an impressive 241 for 5 with Nizari showing expert placement and timing during a brilliant undefeated 125. The wickets were shared amongst the bowlers with Hayden being the most successful with 2 for 51.

In reply, Henley struggled against the continual pressure maintained by the Stoke Green spinners. The exception to this were Naresh Budhaayer (80) and Charlie Homewood (78*) who put on a fine century partnership to keep Henley in the hunt. Both players confirming the fact they should be playing at a higher level.

After Budhaayer’s dismissal Stoke Green went in for the kill finishing off the Henley innings for 209. Aziz bowled brilliantly to finish with figures of 8-76.

7 points from this game leaves Henley 6th position with a tough home game next week against second place Hayes.





Henley defeat Hillingdon in the final over

Henley travelled to Hillingdon after back to back defeats and were greeted with a good pitch for batting and a quick outfield. After two weeks of below par batting, a good performance was vital. Hillingdon chose to bat, but despite only arriving 5 minutes before the start Johnny Wright (3-53), made an early break through bowling the Hillingdon captain. This good start was maintained by Wright and Hopkins; they were unlucky not to take more wickets as there were a couple of dropped catches and close lbw appeals turned down. Henley continued their good bowling when Gurung (3-65) and Legg replaced the opening bowlers and Gurung had Huntley caught at slip by Kenworthy. However Hillingdon’s 3rd wicket partnership began to develop but Henley were still creating chances so a wicket didn’t seem that far away.


Hillingdon were well place at the second drinks break at 134-2 with 18 overs remaining and Wright and Gurung set about their final spells and making the breakthrough. Once Gurung removed the opener Duce a few wickets fell with Wright taking two wickets in successive balls, however the key moment came when Ali was run out for 64 by a throw by Ranger to Wright who broke the wickets. The bowling and fielding was generally good by Henley throughout the day and Hillingdon declared on 223-8, leaving Henley 50 overs to chase the target of 224.

Henley’s reply started slowly with Hillingdon bowling well and Chappell was caught for 2, which brought Smith out to the wicket and he and Kenworthy saw the score to 37 when Smith was bowled by a good ball from Harper. Manoharan came out to the crease and can a partnership was developing but Kenworthy was run out, backing up, following a dropped catch by the bowler and he couldn’t get back into the crease to leave Henley 66-3 off 20 overs. This brought Gurung to the middle who had been short of runs in recent weeks but he played a great innings of 75* and he was well supported firstly by Manoharan and then Homewood (55) to guide Henley towards victory. It was still tense with 10 overs remaining, as Henley required another 75 runs, but sensible cricket from Gurung and Homewood took Henley close. Homewood fell with 8 runs remaining from 7 balls, breaking the 96 run partnership, but Gurung saw Henley home with 4 balls remaining. Next week Henley travel to top of the table side Stoke Green hoping to carry the momentum on.




The Rollercoaster Continues


This weekend, Henley CC 3rd XI made the short trip up the road to Harpsden CC, where they played host to Hurst CC 1st XI. On arguably the hottest day of the summer so far, and Regatta Saturday, the Henley boys were keen to escape the crowds and snaffle a win at the two teams’ first clash of the 2013 season.

Following a cordial greeting at the gates by Lord Birkett jnr., Earl of Harpsden, who had made the short commute down the valley from the estate earlier that morning, the team proceeded to apply sun cream and warm up in usual fashion.


Captain Palmer won the toss and following a thorough assessment of the playing conditions, decided to make the most of the hard track, glorious sunshine and delightful views overlooking Henley Golf Club on one side and Birkett Manor on the other, and have a bat. This proved initially to be a good call, as after the early loss of Price, Henley top order batsman Kenworthy and Budhaayer (AKA Rita) piled on the runs. Both looked in good form and played some pleasing strokes, the pick of which being a couple of sumptuous lofted extra cover drives from Kenworthy, much to the delight and wild applause of the eager Henley supporters. However, the introduction of Hurst bowler Higgs put an end to Henley’s keen optimism. In an impressive display of spin bowling, Higgs dispatched both Kenworthy (43) and Budhaayer (46), and with the help of James, then continued to accelerate through the Henley middle order, claiming the wickets of Gurung, Homewood, Legg, Neville and Palmer, in a rampage leaving Henley floundering on 120 odd for 8. A brief resistance from Henley’s Ranger and Hopkins ensued, allowing the home side to limp to 144 before Higgs struck again, leaving Henley stranded on a pretty sub-par score. Higgs finished on 6-15 from 11.5 overs.


With 57 overs to score 144 runs, the Hurst opening batsmen looked confident as they strode to the crease, however excellent opening spells from both Palmer and Gurung (0-15) restricted and frustrated both Smith and Hibbs, the latter eventually falling to Palmer (1-23) LBW for 12. A bowling change saw Budhaayer (0-34) have a crack at the batsman with his off spin, at times completely bamboozling both players and bowling a total of 5 maidens; he was very unlucky not to be rewarded with a wicket or two. Neville (0-21), Hopkins (0-8) and Ranger (0-25) were equally unsuccessful and not even the Earl (0-13) himself could offer Henley a reprise. Smith (77*) and Singh (51*) eventually saw Hurst home, bringing their side a comfortable 9 wicket win. A hard fought effort from Henley 3’s, although they were far from their best. Time to start over next week!



Kew Jumpers


A middle order batting collapse proved costly for KEW 2nds as HENLEY 3rds leap frogged them in Div 3a as they ran out winners by 4 wickets on Saturday.


Kew won a good toss on a hot day and with a good batting pitch the hosts were looking to make big runs. The innings started strongly with Weeks hitting boundaries early on in the face of loose bowling. The introduction of Palmer and a change of ends for Birkett tightened things up and wickets started to fall at regular intervals as the Kew batsman struggled to contain their aggression, with batsman 1 to 7 all out caught. Bishop top scored for Kew with 43 as they slumped from 51-0 to 167 all out from just 39 overs. Palmer (4-40) and Birkett (3-46) being the pick of the bowlers.


Henley, needing 168 to win from 61 overs, started cautiously in the face the accurate spin bowling trio of Tindall, Bajaj and Kohli. Kenworthy’s dismissal brought Nepalese under 19 international Naresh Budhaayer to the crease and his aggressive 57 proved the difference between the teams as Henley ran out winners by 4 wickets with almost 20 overs to spare. Useful contributions also came from Tom Chappell (26), who set the tone at the top of the innings and Charlie Homewood (31 not out), who ensured that there would be no collapse upon the dismissal of Budhaayer.


Henley 3rds remain fourth in a very congested Division 3a and host Hurst next Saturday at Harpsden.



Slough Send Henley Packing


A windswept and rain-scarred Nettlebed played host to Henley 3rd XI’s match against Slough 2nds. After a series of intermittent yet forceful showers, play finally began, albeit with a half-hour delay. Slough won the toss and elected to bowl, and their combination of youth and experience made for a testing start for Henley openers Tom Chappell and Will Ward, with the latter being dismissed early on by Syed after following a ball that left him slightly off the pitch. Prakash Gurang was next in, and proceeded to lay a stable yet measured foundation with the remaining opener until Chappell swiped unsuccessfully at Jetty and was promptly castled. The subsequent Homewood-Gurang partnership promised much, but tight bowling ensured that the bat never managed to achieve superiority, with Gurung falling for 20 when adjudged LBW to a ball that nipped back. Viljoen and Palmer came and went, with the former falling to a somewhat spectacular catch at cover by the fieldsman prowling an otherwise void off-side field to the bowling of Sharath Jetty, a slippery left-arm wrist spin bowler, whose variations and length proved to be rather a challenge to the Henley batsman. Thus, Henley, teetering at 90-5, hoped that Homewood and Hopkins could rescue them from their current predicament. They couldn’t. Homewood was caught excellently at slip off the bowling of Akhtar for 40, while Hopkins’ heave at Jetty succeeded only in finding backward point. The tail was mopped up with great alacrity and efficiency, leaving Henley on a disappointing 102.
Knowing that success could only be achieved with audacity, Palmer elected to take the old ball, entrusting it to himself and wily leg-spinner Sam Ranger. Indeed, it was Ranger who struck, removing Ali Ahmed with a ball that held its line and struck him on the pad, and Henley smelt blood. Alas, this smell was quickly absorbed and countermanded by the deodorant that was Slough’s batting. Gheyas Khan and Slough’s number 3 nimbly dealt with Ed Birkett’s aggression and Nathan Hopkins’ cunning with the new ball, before cutting loose as their target approached with increasing rapidity – the winning runs were struck with a fine blow over cover off the bowling of impressive 15-year-old Alex Harris-White, who will certainly be one to watch for the future. A nine-wicket victory for Slough, who were deserving victors.
As a solitary crow strolled across the outfield as the players were leaving, nibbling gently at the carcass that was Henley’s batting performance, one could only sit back and reflect. The season, while not quite in its infancy, has certainly only just reached middle age, and could (and should) provide more success for Henley 3rds. A trip to Kew follows, and Henley will hope that the calming scent of fragrant flora from those famous gardens will add an extra element of composure to an undoubtedly talented side. For now, however, wounds will be licked before the next push can come.



Henley Whip Ascot

Henley Thirds travelled to Royal Ascot on Saturday looking to make amends for their heavy defeat last week. On a showery afternoon, captain Jeremy Palmer won the toss and elected to bat first. Openers Chappell and Price sought to build a solid platform from which Henley could build a decent total and they went about their business in fine style. Price(52), hitting some fine cover and straight drives, while Chappell (56), played in his usual fashion of nudging and nurdling, put on 108 for the first wicket.

When Chappell and Pryce were out Ward and Gurung upped the scoring rate and Henley moved to 191-2 before rain stopped play after 46 overs. After a prolonged break the game was reduced, so that Ascot had 43 overs to chase the runs. After a steady start, Ascot collapsed to 90 for 9 wickets. Notable was Ranger and captain Palmer taking three wickets in three balls. Ranger took 3 wickets and Palmer 2 in total. Birkett bowled aggressively at the tail and took four wickets. However the last pair defied Henley for 16 overs before Birkett took the final wicket with a stunning catch by Will Ward behind the stumps. Ward took four catches, three very good ones.

A very comprehensive win for Henley that takes them to second in Division 3a. Even more important when other games were rained off


Thirds Collapse to Chalfont St Peter


On a bright and breezy afternoon at Nettlebed, Henley 3rds looked to build on last week’s fine win when they entertained Chalfont St Peter. Chalfont won the toss and elected to bat on a good looking track. Tight opening spells from Hopkins and Khan yielded a wicket apiece. Chalfont opener Z Khan was still there however, although he had given chances to the Henley fielders. Z Khan eventually fell to the medium pace of Mohammed but it was not until the post-drinks introduction of the leg-spin Sam Ranger and the experience of captain Jeremy Palmer that significant inroads into the Chalfont batting order were made. Ranger, exploiting the bounce and turn in the pitch through his variations, took 4-12 and Palmer, bowling with guile, took 3-24. Chalfont were bowled out for 137, a total that did not seem to suffice.

Openers Price and Kenworthy made serene progress to 37 with very little sign of the carnage that was about to ensue. Kenworthy fell to a fine slip catch off the off-spin Khan. Then came the collapse. Ducks for Verry, Homewood, Chappell, Palmer and Ranger left the hosts in dire trouble so that when Price perished they were 45-7. Hopkins then lobbed a catch to short-fine leg leaving Mohammed and Khan to provide defiant rearguard action that was not enough. Henley were eventually all out for 89.



Hayes 1st XI vs Henley 3RD XI

After a strong performance last week, for a draw, Henley were keen to push on and secure a win this week against a strong Hayes side. Henley won the toss and batted first on a pitch that only looked like getting worst throughout the day.

Alex Price and Rob Kenworthy opened for Henley and put on a strong opening partnership of 85 against a tight Hayes bowling attack. The first wicket fell as Price was caught on 46 and Kenworthy was given out LBW for 41 quickly after. Nick Johnson and Dan Hayden batted well in the middle order making 23 and 29 respectively. Which left Nathan Hopkins, Jeremy Palmer and Waqaz Khan who all made vital, quick runs at the end of the innings to pull Henley over the 200 mark. Michael Green was the pick of Hayes’s bowlers with 6 wickets for 49 runs off 11 overs.

Henley finished on 206 for 9 off 52 overs.

Henley chose to take the old ball and opened with the two leg spinners Sam Ranger and Tom Chappell who restricted Hayes well. After a dreadful running error Tom Chappell got the early breakthrough Henley wanted by running out Hayes’s opener Green for 12. Chappell then took another wicket quickly after as S. Morgan spooned one up to Hayden who took a straight forward catch. The new ball was then taken by Henley and Hayden used it well to take another two wickets for Henley. Hayes were struggling to form a partnership with their inform batsman Singh who made 66. A change of bowling then brought Nick Johnson on to bowl who took 2 wickets with last two balls of his first over. Hopkins who had been brought on at the other end then managed to take a wicket with the first ball of the next over, with the help of a sharp catch from Chappell, giving Henley a team hat-trick. Hayes then found themselves seven down and well behind. With another wicket for both Hopkins and Johnson, who finished with figures of 4 for 3 off 2 overs, it fell to Waqaz Khan to finish Hayes off.

Hayes finished on 128 all out giving Henley the full 25 points.


Exciting Draw at Nettlebed

Henley 3rd XI  vs Stoke Green 1st XI


Henley 3rds drew a fluctuating match with Stoke Green 1’s on Saturday at Nettlebed. Having won the toss the visitors elected to bat first and got off to a flyer with a 50 partnership coming up in the 8th over as Ed Birkett and thirds debutant Johnny Wright struggled to find their length.

Wright broke the partnership as G Khan (24) skyed a catch to Ben Francis, and this was quickly followed up by Hayden having Bourne (21) brilliantly caught by Alex Price at second slip and Nizami lbw for 0 in the next over. At 58-3 Henley now appeared to have the upper hand. U Butt and H Hussain then swung the balance the other way as they put on 60 with some hard hit drives before Hayden bowled Hussain (31) with a full toss.

Two sharp run outs accounted for Arjan (6) and Butt (92), and the reintroduction of Wright had Desai (16) was well caught by Sam Ranger at deep cover. Dhillon (1) and M Hussain (0) then fell in consecutive balls to leave Wright on a hat trick. Unfortunately, he was unable to get it but he soon cleaned up the innings having Injum caught by Gurung at point to leave him with figures of 5-70.

The target set by Stoke Green of 216 was par for the course and Henley’s reply started slowly by openers Alex Price and Rob Kenworthy. Price was the first to go getting a leading edge to cover for 0, and Charlie Homewood joined the run chase but found scoring difficult only being able to hit 1s and 2s. Kenworthy had a reprieve on 16 when running a 2 as the keeper knocked the bails off without the ball with him well short of his ground, but Kenworthy was to follow shortly after for 20 bowled by Nizami.

Pakash Gurung then joined Homewood and the score ticked over nicely until Homewood (21) was bowled and Ben Francis was unfortunate to be lbw for 4. At 78-5 Henley were behind the rate but the experienced Gurung hit some fine boundaries to keep them in the race. A spectacular overhead catch ended Dan Hayden’s innings of 8, and some spirited batting from Nathan Hopkins (19) kept the pendulum of this match swinging still further.

The pendulum was very firmly in Stoke Green’s favour at 148-8 after Hopkins was bowled, Gurung fell to another brilliant catch for a well-made 45 and Johnny Wright was caught for 1. With 68 still needed with 9 overs and 2 wickets left Henley captain Jeremy Palmer and Sam Ranger showed there was still fight in the Henley cause as they smacked a quick fire 50 partnership. Inventive running from Ranger (22) and powerful hitting from Palmer (leaving his bat in 2 pieces), took Henley to the brink of victory.

With Ranger’s dismissal to the impressive M. Hussain (4-29) left 14 still needed from the last over the game was once again in the balance. No.11 Ed Birkett scrambled a leg bye to leave 13 off the last 4 balls but Palmer failed to connect with the next ball and from that point shut up shop to ensure Henley did not lose.

10 points from this game leaves Henley 6th in Div 3a 3 points behind Stoke Green and 15 points behind the leaders.


Henley Hammer Hillingdon Manor

Hillingdon Manor won the toss and put Henley into bat on a damp wicket at Turville. Kenworthy and Very got off to a solid start in tough conditions and had some good luck. However both of them were dismissed and that brought Gurung and Oldershaw (60) to the crease to continue to build on the base. Wickets fell around Oldershaw who batted sensibly to make use of the overs available and a partnership with Hopkins gave Henley some control but again wickets fell in a cluster and Birkett and Pratley put on 20 runs for the last wicket which were crucial. It gave Henley the momentum and a score of 165 all out was above par on that pitch provided that the team bowled well.

In reply Henley got off to a flying start with Birkett (4-21) and Hayden (5-23) taking early wickets by using the pitch conditions and their skills to create pressure to leave Hillingdon 17-5 with Birkett taking 4. Then a partnership built and Hayden returned at the other end and took three wickets, one which was excellently caught by Hopkins, including two wickets in two balls. At the start of the next over Wahab took a wicket and quickly it became 34-9. The final wicket partnership but up some resistance and after a few bowling changes Hayden returned to take his fifth to bowl Hillingdon Manor out for 60. Next week Henley host Stoke Green at Nettlebed hoping to build on this


Henley 3rd XI  vs. Purley-on-Thames 1st XI


Henley started their 2013 campaign in Division 3a travelling to a blustery Purley-on-Thames with high expectations, and after winning the toss and electing to bat it was the perfect start.

Third team debutants Will Ward & Duncan Very got off to a crisp start with some fine shots and smart running. Ward (21) was the first to go top edging a catch to fine leg, bringing Prakash Gurung to the crease. With the score one shy of 50, he was run out for 7 going for a tight second run.

Henley’s highest partnership of the game then followed as Very (52) and Tom Oldershaw put on 66 together as they milked the bowling to all parts. Very’s fine debut knock was ended when he was bowled by Thava and struck again immediately afterwards having Henry Oldershaw lbw for 0. Tom Chappell then joined Oldershaw Snr in a workmanlike 50 partnership before the later was caught for a classy 60.

At 163 – 4 with 7 overs remaining Henley looked set to score over 200, but Chappell (23*) and Jeremy Palmer (13*) struggled to accelerate the scoring against some accurate, short pitched bowling from Jeffery. Henley somewhat limped to 193 – 5 despite vain attempts to get bat on ball.

In reply, Purley got off to a brisk start with none of the Henley bowlers able to maintain a consistent line or length in the windy bowling conditions. It was another debutant, Wahab Mohammed, who took the first wicket having Purley captain Patrick Allen (51) loop a catch to Tom Oldershaw at point, but this did not affect the run rate as Maycock and Rawal continued in the same vain.

Fourth Henley newcomer, Aysin, had immediate effect in his first over when he had Rawal (54) caught spectacularly by Hopkins at mid-off, and this was soon followed by Ward stumping Maycock off Gurung for 13. Henley then attempted to use the conditions by having the spinners bowling out of the low sun, and this tactic worked when Tom Chappell induced Sewiappan to drive a firm catch to Gurung at mid-off for 0.

At 4 down with still 50 needed, could a wobble still be on the cards for Purley? Alas not, as Reber and Jeffery took advantage of the loose Henley bowling and took the hosts home with 12 overs remaining.

Henley collected 10 points for their effort and look forward to hosting Hillingdon next week at Turvillle.