Senior Second Team

Senior Second Team

Fixtures 2017-Division 1 Thames Valley

Captain & Contact Details

Position Name Contact Details
Vice Captain
Simon Wheeler
Charlie Homewood
07595 598351
07867 655560

Results & Reports


Henley 2nds entertained Wokingham at their renamed Matson Drive ground, hoping to string together consecutive victories for the first time since 1879. Omens initially looked good when Furber forsook typical captaincy duties and nominatedAshraf to toss up, which he duly won. There was no hesitation to bat first on a wicket that, while it would provide some assistance to the bowlers early on, looked set to crumble later on, thus providing Henley’s spinners with the perfect canvas on which to express their undoubted artistic talent.

Jones and Price opened up, with the former looking to assert himself early on, playing two aggressive front-foot shots off Fowler with great success. However, Wokingham’s prolific overseas bowler had other ideas, having both openers caught at the wicket before Gurung latched onto a wide long hop, only to direct it straight to Hall at extra cover. With the score at 19-3, Henley were looking precarious – a situation that could have been even worse had Fowler’s slower ball to clean up Oldershaw not been adjudged a no ball. Indeed,Oldershaw, for whom good luck had been long overdue, seemed intent on cashing in, and it came to pass that he did, acting firstly as a foil to the impressive Ashraf (88*) before assuming the role of both rapier and bludgeon in the dyingovers, smashing a belligerent 104 off 138, with the second 50 coming off a mere 27 balls, including a towering six to bring up his century. The fourth-wicket partnership was worth 199 and saw Henley to an imposing total of 225-4 afterOldershaw’s dismissal in the final over left Jacobsen to swat wildly at a couple of balls, with varied levels of success.

Buoyed by their display with the bat, Henley got off to the perfect start in the field when Ashraf had Parsons caught at slip by Furber off the first ball of the innings. He was ably supported by firstly Ed Birkett and latterly Dan Hayden (2-21), whose wickets of Beales and Hayter complemented further wickets for Ashraf, who also accounted for Jake Turner (8), Myles (4), Hirst (1) and Fowler (0) to bring up figures of 5-56 off his 17 overs. 2 late wickets for the swaggering Cameron Jacobsen, plus an ignominious run out, meant Wokingham had been bowled out for 123, with only opening batsman and captain Jack Turner (87) providing any sort of resistance on a pitch that certainly began to favour spinners Ashraf, Jacobsen and Hayden as the match went on.

An 87-run victory was just rewards for a team that is starting to believe in itself with each passing week, and a visit toYateley next Saturday should provide Henley with a further opportunity to enhance their credentials.




Having been denied at the final hurdle last week at home against Marlow, Henley 2nds were looking to make amends away at fellow strugglers High Wycombe, situated a mere 15 points ahead in the table. On a mostly sunny day, High Wycombe won the toss and elected to bat on a pitch so flat it appeared to have been designed especially for Geoffrey Boycott’s mother and her stick of rhubarb. Runs galore, I hear you say. Just so.

The youthful opening combination of captain Stevens and 15-year-old Casterton started well, seizing on anything loose while remaining resolute in defence. The latter fell for 39 after a rush of blood to the head betrayed a hitherto well-hidden callow streak, skying a simple return catch to Jacobsen. Jacobsen picked up the next as well, enticing a poor shot fromBuckfield to Jones at mid wicket and Wycombe were suddenly 100-2. Solid batting from Newell (38) and Stevens (85) once again put Wycombe in a strong position, but a series of late wickets from Jacobsen and Birkett made sure Henley retained an element of control, despite a couple of enormous sixes off Birkett in the dying overs by Collins and Krish. Having used up their full complement, High Wycombe finished on 249 -7, with Jacobsen picking up 5-78 and Birkett chipping in with 2-55.

Regular readers will be all too familiar with Henley’s woes chasing – particular lowlights include failing to chase 125 against Eversley, 148 against Kidmore End and, most famously, 43 against Shiplake Primary School’s under 9 C team. However, skipper Furber had other ideas on this occasion, electing to employ the otherwise reckless of tactic of fighting fire with fire, sending in Zac Jones to open the batting with Underdown. His 17 off 13 balls set the tone for a positive chase, with an increasingly assured Underdown (69) and Ashraf (86*) holding the innings together after MacDonald had been dismissed gloving one down the leg side off Sawyer. But when Underdown was adjudged LBW with the score on 145, the all-too-familiar threat of the Henley batting collapse loomed on the horizon, with Jacobsen and Oldershaw falling cheaply. Ashraf remained at the helm, however, providing the anchor on which firstly Legg (16) and Homewood (24*) could base their strokeplay. With 4 balls left and needing 3 to win, Homewood profited from a loose delivery from opener Lane to send the ball to the boundary and the capacity 10-strong crowd into raptures.

With a narrow 4-wicket victory, Henley proved they could chase as well as defend, and will be looking to draw on an even greater level of new-found confidence next week against Wokingham. Their survival in Thames Valley Division 1 depends on it.




On a hot and humid day, Henley 2nds were looking to build on their momentum from their maiden victory the previous week with a visit to Datchet. Despite a little moisture lingering from the storms the night before, captain Furber won the toss – a rarity in itself – and elected to bat, sticking with the formula that had bought Henley success against Beaconsfield.

Datchet bowled tightly with the new ball on a slow deck that still contained the odd gremlin, with run-scoring proving difficult, especially against the spin of Dick and Aziz. MacDonald fell to a very good ball, edging behind, while the other opener Kenworthy was pinned in front. Indeed, it was only Ashraf who looked particularly settled on the pitch, though when he holed out on 40, Henley were staring down the barrel. A couple of lusty blows from Jones and Furber took Henley to a somewhat respectable 164/9, and Henley knew that, with the spin of Jacobsen and Ashraf, chasing this total might prove to be difficult for Datchet. Dick finished with figures of 6/40.

Datchet started their chase breezily, with both openers playing fluently before Ashraf stopped the rot straight after drinks, with MacDonald taking a regulation slip catch. Jacobsen was brought on with his left-arm spin, and he and Ashraf combined to slowly tighten the noose on Datchet. It was only Aziz who seemed up to the task, but when he was dismissed by Jacobsen for 40 to leave Datchet 6 down with over 60 runs to get, Henley scented victory. There was also controversy when, despite acknowledgement from both umpires that Lambert was out of his ground without facing a ball, and despite both batsmen intimating that they were considering attempting a run after an errant throw from Homewood, the ensuing breaking of wickets was not deemed to be sufficient to warrant a dismissal, with the umpires somehow stating that the ball was dead. Further wickets for Ashraf meant that it was down to the last-wicket partnership to get the runs, and the reprieved Lambert went on to farm the strike, picking up singles of the last ball of most overs while striking the odd boundary in between. With Ashraf bowling the final ball of the match with 3 to win for Datchet and 1 wicket to win for Henley, Lambert proceeded to clear long-off, prompting jubilant scenes for the home team.

Despite such a heartbreaking defeat, Henley can hold their heads high after a battling display with the ball to retrieve what was a very difficult situation following yet another lacklustre batting performance. Furthermore, it was only vagaries of interpretation that deprive Henley of victory, meaning that they can still draw on this performance against struggling Kidmore End next week.


After suffering a disappointing first half of the season, Henley 2nds sought to assuage their woes with a victory at home over Beaconsfield. With a hint of moisture still in the pitch after previous day’s rain, Beaconsfield won the toss and elected to field first. This initially proved successful, with Underdown driving loosely to cover and Oldershaw edging to second slip off Mahood to leave Henley reeling at 34-2.

However, where one might have expected the now-typical Henley batting collapse, Zia Ashraf and Will MacDonald had other ideas, combining on an ever-drying pitch to firstly deny Beaconsfield further breakthroughs, then plunder a tiring attack under blue skies and an attritional sun. The pair put on 138 runs before MacDonald holed out to fine leg for 82, bringing Cameron Jacobsen to the crease with a view to achieving an imposing total. Several lusty blows later, Henley finished their 52 overs with a total of 246 for 3, with Ashraf unbeaten on 102 – a consummate display of batsmanship – and Jacobsen on 41.

Beaconsfield started their chase edgily, with Simon Wheeler unfortunate not to take an early wicket with his brand of swing bowling under greying skies, while Ashraf opened from the other end with his off-spin. Indeed, it was Ashraf who struck first, inducing false strokes from Francis and Morgan to leave Beaconsfield 44-2. Wickets continued to fall, with Ashraf picking up the wicket of Hasan, and Zac Jones pinning Suter in front, but it was not until Tom Oldershaw’s spectacular diving catch to dismiss the captain Thomas that Henley started to smell victory. A farcical run out of Bentall, plus further wickets from Ashraf, left Beaconsfield with just 2o overs to survive with one wicket in hand. Enter Jacobsen, fresh from his derring-do with the bat. He managed to coax enough turn from the pitch to find the edge of Mahood’s bat with some force, and Green stuck out a hand to claim a remarkable close catch at gully, thereby securing Henley 2nd’s first win of 2014. Ashraf finished with figures of 7-74, with Jones taking 1-46 and Jacobsen 1-48.

Henley will be looking to draw on this momentum for the remainder of the season, facing Datchet away next week.



Marlow 1st XI vs. Henley 2nd XI

Saturday 31st May

Marlow won by 21 runs

After the rain affected start to the season Henley 2nd XI made the short trip down the Thames to play local rivals Marlow – a team that have been yo-yoing up and down the league in recent seasons.  With skipper Graham Furber still out injured stand in captain Zippy Arshad won the toss and elected to field first in a team that welcomed Chad Keegan back for the first time this summer.

The decision to field first was vindicated immediately as a gentle warm up delivery from Zac Jones was pushed into the vacant midwicket position for what seemed an easy single. However the non-striker was thinking quite the opposite as he failed to leave his crease resulting in a run out for his partner. This frenetic start continued as Simon Wheeler and Zac Jones regularly beat the bat while those that caught the edge could not find a fielder.

Opener Paskins rode his luck and redeemed himself in the eyes of his first batting partner to register the only score of over 50 in the game as the Henley’s three pronged spin attack of Arshad, Bezuidenhout and the returning Cam Jacobsen took control of the innings. Marlow’s run rate fluctuated due to some tight bowling and wickets for all 3 spinners as Henley looked to be chasing under 200. However some big hitting towards the end lifted Marlow to a par score of 205.

Facing some wiley spin Henley started steadily as Alex Price knocked the ball around while Tom Oldershaw took a more aggressive approach. After Price was bowled Nick Johnson joined Oldershaw as the pair tried not to let the spinners settle by playing there shots when possible. This tactic worked as Marlow then took the new ball and looked for their pace bowlers to make the breakthrough that was required. On a slow seaming pitch this was just the tonic as Marlow began to take regular wickets as no two batters were able to form a partnership.

Despite some rear guard hitting from Zac Jones, Ben Francis and Simon Wheeler Henley were all out just over 20 runs short of their required target. Next week Henley entertains High Wycombe, the only other 2nd XI team in the league. While they are willing to say how far they have come as team in 12 months it is time to turn promising results and positions into hard earned victories.



Henley stopped on the line

The season kicked off proper this weekend as Henley 2nd XI played an exciting game against Datchet 1st XI at the Brakspear ground. It was this fixture the season before that provided Henley 2’s with their only league victory. However former first team and current Kent fast bowler Dave Griffiths was gracing Henley with his presence on that occasion.

Even without a County opening bowler Henley started well after winning the toss and choosing to bowl first as Simon Wheeler and Zac Jones struck early with catches being taken by Will MacDonald and captain Graham Furber in the slips. After a third wicket, courtesy of Jones again, Datchet mounted a recovery and began to knock the ageing ball around with apparent ease. This was coupled with an injury to captain Furber as he failed to get his leg over, as Aggers might say, while trying to vault a post.

This injury allowed coach Todd Ferguson to dust off his whites and come out of retirement as Henley’s substitute fielder, which cost the home team a crucial 5 runs due to the act being a slight misdemeanour in the eyes of the law. A combination of factors also meant that Henley were well behind the required over rate, a crime punishable by a points deduction. With this in mind the impressive Johnny Wright was taken off for MacDonald who bowled in tandem with Zippy Ashraf as Henley looked to recover their overrate while simultaneously adding pressure to the Datchet batters.

A strange period of played happened next as the pressure from the spinners and fielders seemed to catch the batters off guard. Wickets began to fall while the run rate dropped. In total six wickets for very few runs were taken during this spell as Datchet fell to 217 all out, with MacDonald darting his way to four wickets. Although 217 represented an excellent fight back from Henley there was a feeling of what might have been if some discipline and ill fortune not deserted the team.

Maybe in 2013 a Henley 2nd XI would have collapsed after such an excellent fight back in the first innings, especially after losing two early wickets. This is a different year and a different team for that matter, in personnel if not determination. Ashraf and MacDonald combined again, this time with the bat with a partnership oozed some wonderful touches of class but was broken by an ex-Henley man in the guise of Tom Lambert who saw the back of MacDonald. This brought Nick Johnson to the crease as he and Ashraf gelled wonderfully in their attempt to chase down Datchet’s target. A partnership of almost a hundred as ended as Johnson chipped one back to the bowler. This allowed Datchet, who looked down and out at one stage, back into the game as they set defensive fields for Ashraf while attacking any new batters.

This tactic worked as although Ashraf reached a fine century he didn’t receive the necessary support to take Henley over the finish line. However, it was a hugely positive start for the home side as they look to do more than compete in what is a very strong and competitive league.

Henley CC 2nd XI vs. Datchet CC 1st XI

Match drawn

Sat 17th May 2014

Innings of Datchet

D. Graham Ct MacDonald b Wheeler 0
M. George Ct Furber b Jones 0
T. Aldis LBW Jones 14
P. Aziz Bowled Wright 62
A. Jones LBW Ashraf 26
T. Lambert Bowled Ashraf 38
T. Jones LBW MacDonald 25
E. Krishamuraiy Ct Underdown b MacDonald 6
S. Finn Ct Johnson b MacDonald 9
T. Grant Not out 8
J. Dick Ct Francis b MacDonald 3
Extras 26
Total 217


Key bowling – W. MacDonald; 4 – 31

Innings of Henley

R. Underdown Ct Aziz b Dick 4
T. Oldershaw C and b Aziz 8
W. MacDonald Lbw Lambert 17
Z. Ashraf Not out 101
N. Johnson C and b Aziz 42
C. Homewood Bowled Dick 0
B. Francis Bowled Dick 6
Z. Jones Ct Aldis b Dick 17
G. Furber Lbw Dick 11
J. Wright Not out 1
S. Wheeler DNB
Extras 2
Total 209




Wokingham CC – 1st XI vs Henley CC – 2nd XI

Wokingham CC – 1st XI Won Batting Second by 8 wickets

Sat 24th Aug 2013

Rain Reigns at Wokingham

Henley 2nd XI travelled to Wokingham’s spectacularly large ground for a bottom of the table clash. With rain around Wokingham won the toss and elected to bat in the hope of chasing a known target after the rain cause the disruption early on.  A reasonable strategy but one that didn’t look like going quite to plan as Tom Oldershaw and Rob Kenworthy started knocking round the Wokingham bowling attack –which featured a New Zealand first class player, with a large degree of ease. The pair registered a 50 partnership that moved onto 80 before the harsh mistress of British weather arrived. Once the overs were reduced Henley began to lose wickets as they tried to push on the rate, a difficult task on what was now a lively pitch against a bowling attack that had more of an impetus than before the break. At the halfway point Wokingham required a tricky 135 from 33 overs.

Rather than start explosively Wokingham choose to accumulate steadily in the face of nagging swing bowling from Dan Hayden and Simon Wheeler. Although wickets did not come regularly the game was evenly poised before a wicket for Graham Furber brought Wokingham’s pro to the crease, from this point on the games sedate pace he showed his hitting ability that has been Henley’s thorn in the side on three occasions now. After another breakthrough to Cameron Jacobsen the attack was brought to Henley as Wokingham completed the match with a few overs spare. A result that may look one sided but while Wokingham played good cricket at the right times it can’t be overlooked that the rain didn’t come at the right time to help Henley – something that has unfortunately happened more than once despite the climatic conditions that we have been blessed with this summer.


Henley CC 2nd XI vs. Kew 1st XI

17/08/13 at the Brakspear ground

Kew 1st XI won by 19 runs

A youthful Henley 2nd XI took the field against Kew on Saturday. Team veteran Ryan Bezuidenhout won the toss and elected to field first – conscious of the potential rain that was due to disrupt proceedings. Kirdon Thomas, Kew’s pinch hitter was into his stride immediately as he latched onto any width with great power while riding his luck on occasions. His onslaught was blunted somewhat by the nagging line and length of Dan Hayden who has come into his own since claiming the new ball. His opening spell brought the wicket of Raper who tried to push on with proceedings and only found skipper Bezuidenhout at midoff while Thomas was fortunate to survive a close LBW shout, one of many decisions that Henley felt like did not go their way.

This let off was all that was required as Thomas powered his way to a hundred, however he received little support as the spin twins of Cameron Jacobsen and Bezuidenhout himself took wickets at regular intervals as the skies darkened, causing Kew to try and up the tempo. This led to a serious of soft dismissals as the turning ball became hard to dispatch while Henley remained aggressive in the field notably in the form of Charlie Homewood. After the early fireworks Henley hit back as only 3 more batters reached double figures as Kew were dismissed for 218 with Jacobsen and Bezuidenhout with 5 and 4 wickets respectively.

Henley’s reply started positively as Ben Francis and Tom Oldershaw were particularly dismissive of any loose deliveries. Misses and boundaries seemed to come in equal measures but the entertaining start put Henley on the front foot before Francis went for one shot too many and lost his poles – Francis however can be proud of how he has opened for the side taking on the challenge admirably. Jacobsen joined Oldershaw as the aggressive batting continued which led to Oldershaw bringing up another delightful half century. As the partnership moved on Panta struck twice removing both set batsmen during his marathon spell, some consolidation from Nick Johnson and Ryan Bezuidenhout didn’t seem enough as Henley began to falter as the persistent rain livened up the pitch.

Despite the rain John Neville and Dan Hayden had showed little thought for drawing the match as they took the attack to Kew as Panta – who was into his 20th over, finally began to tire. The pair mixed some powerful batting with strong running as Kew started to go on the defensive. A ridiculous run out for Neville – where one presumes he had gone past the umpires eye line, as he certainly wasn’t short of his ground followed by the slightly more average wicket of Hayden was the beginning of the end as Kew got the win they didn’t really deserve while Henley pushed another team close without putting the final nail in the coffin. They say success breeds more success and that seems to be all that is missing for the Second XI.



Henley 2nd XI vs. Finchampstead 1st XI

Brakspear Ground, 27/07/13

Finchampstead won by 143 runs

Finchampstead CC – 1st XI


Andrew House ct Ben Francis b Simon Wheeler


Russell Lane ct Ben Francis b Tahir Kazmi


Dan Marles ct Ryan Bezuidenhout b Simon Wheeler


C Ellison * LBW b Zac Jones


Gary Loveday ct Simon Wheeler b Ryan Bezuidenhout


Simon Bell Not Out


Mark Stevenson b Ryan Bezuidenhout


Sam Taylor Did Not Bat
Anthony Parson Did Not Bat
Oli Armstrongwood Did Not Bat
Max Uttley Did Not Bat


( 9b 1nb )



(6 wickets dec , 43 overs )


2nd XI


Thomas Oldershaw b O Armstrongwood


Ben Francis + ct C Ellison b Sam Taylor


Peter Dean LBW b Anthony Parson


Cameron Jacobsen st Simon Bell b Max Uttley


Nicholas Johnson ct Russell Lane b Max Uttley


Ryan Bezuidenhout LBW b Sam Taylor


Zac Jones ct M Stevenson b M Stevenson


Graham Furber * ct Anthony Parson b Sam Taylor


Tahir Kazmi ct Russell Lane b M Stevenson


Simon Wheeler b Anthony Parson


Humza Iqbal Not Out



( 1lb 4w 3nb )



( all out , 26.1 overs )



Henley CC – 2nd XI vs Chesham CC – 1st XI

Result: Chesham CC – 1st XI Won Batting Second by 5 wickets

Date: Sat 10th Aug 2013

Ground: Brakspear Ground

Henley 2nd XI entertained title contenders Chesham at the Brakspear Ground on Saturday. Deputy captain Ryan Bezuidenhout won the toss and elected to bat first in the hope of making Chesham chase the win that they would need to keep their title hopes alive. However after stroking a boundary off his first ball Tom Oldershaw was caught in a juggling slip cordon to give Chesham the early breakthrough. Ben Francis and Cameron Jaocbsen consolidated in the face of a Kenyan international bowler they both fell in quick succession to a combination of another rebounded catch in the cordon and some clever spin bowling from first change Rance.

Pete Dean and Nick Johnson dug in before drinks before pushing the scoring on with some positive stroke play. There 60 partnership ending when Johnson was caught at extra cover via the bowler – a dismissal that would seem extraordinary had it not already happened twice before in the same innings. While Dean drove and cut his way to his comeback half century he did not receive any more support from the lower and middle order as Henley collapsed from a promising 130 – 4 to 163 all out.

Early wickets would be the order of the day if Henley were to defend such a subpar total. After a solid start from both openers the breakthrough was made as Francis took a wonderful catch off the miserly Dan Hayden down the leg side. This brought Hayden two more wickets as Johnson clung on low down at second slip before a well-disguised slower ball was missed to leave Chesham three wickets down and with one eye on the scoreboard. Their situation got worse as the evergreen Andy White hustled a run out to leave Henley with a glimmer of hope. However, Chesham’s pro Odhiambo had different ideas as he took the attack to Henley, looking to finish the match quickly. After a few slices of luck and he began to find his range and brought the match to its conclusion with a blistering 57, leading Chesham to a 5 wicket win.





Henley 2nd XI came up against a resurgent Finchampstead team who were determined to return to the top of the table after some poor results in recent weeks. After Henley’s encouraging performance against Amersham there was a confidence to go one step further this week. Finchampstead won the toss and predictably decided to bat first but it was Henley who struck first as Simon Wheeler got just reward for his tight bowling by having opener House caught behind by Francis and then removing Marles just a few overs later.  At the other end Russell Lane played with some degree of luck, but also power as he registered a rapid half century. Despite good bowling in spells by Tahir Kazmi and Zac Jones who both picked up a wicket respectively Finchampstead powered on as Lane struck the ball with even more force bringing up a his hundred after a few scares in the nervous-nineties. He received good support from Ellison and Loveday before Ryan Bezuidenhout hit back with a couple of wickets, one courtesy of a fine catch by Wheeler as Finchampstead declared on 259 – 6.

While Henley pushed Amersham to the wire the previous week there innings this time could almost be summed up from the first ball as Tom Oldershaw got the kind of delivery that cause opening batsman to wake up in cold sweats throughout the night as he lost his off stump. From there on in Henley never really recovered as Finchampstead went on the attack and brought all the momentum with them. Ben Francis and Nick Johnson were the only members of the top order to get past single figures.

A lower order rear guard from debutant Zac Jones, captain Furber, Simon Wheeler and Tahir Kazmi spared Henley’s blushes but they could not hold on for long enough as the rain came 20 minutes too late for Henley, a scene reminiscent to Adelaide 2010. Like Australia Henley 2nd XI will not be able to find a quick fix to their problems but now realistically have the rest of the season to try and find the next best thing.




On a wonderful summer day, Henley were looking to record their first win of the season. Upon hearing the news of Datchet’s latest recruit, Kiwi Test player Mark Gillespie, Henley looked forward to making amends from the previous two weeks even more and making a statement that they were ready to turn up and play cricket. And that is what they did. Losing the toss and being put into field, Henley wasted no time in finding their lengths, consistently troubling the batsmen and finding their edges, only for them to find the boundary and not the fielders. Griffiths made the breakthrough and the change bowlers applied the brakes. Kazmi and Iqval were greeted by Gillespie by watching their first few balls disappear over the rope but a brilliant catch by Bezuidenhout on the boundary ended Datchet’s hopes of a big total. Slowly but surely wickets fell and the runs dried up and Datchet finished on 140 all out after 39.4 overs with Griffiths and Kazmi snaring four wickets each, the former bowling with some serious pace.


Henley knew they had a great chance of grabbing twenty points and started well. Smith and Oldershaw saw off Gillespie who was bowling some good pace and swing, albeit unable to keep his foot behind the line numerous times. Former Henley stalwart Tom Lambert came into the attack and took two quick wickets before Griffiths and Furber steadied the ship. Trying to accelerate the run rate, Furber fell and Griffiths and Gurung saw Henley over the line for the loss of three wickets, with Griffiths finishing on 53 not out.


A well deserved victory and a totally different commitment and work ethic from the previous two games, Henley now face newcomers Chesham and will look to continue their good work from Saturday and post another win.



Seconds Struggle Against Amersham

After being hailed off at this time of the year last weekend, Henley 2’s were looking to improve and get a result against Amersham. A result they did get but not the right one.

After losing the toss Henley were put in to field but found their strides early. After 20 overs, Amersham were 60-1. The spinners were brought on but Amersham’s number three batsman took a liking to a good batting track and duly dispatched both spinners for a few boundaries. A dropped catch on the boundary seemed to open the boundary floodgates and the batsmen savaged both spinners. Eventually out for 94 after being dropped on 20, and the other opener out for 67, the last few overs brought about quick runs by the Amersham batsmen who were swinging merrily at anything and every thing. They eventually declared on 275-5 off 50 overs.

The track had dried out even more and the total seemed reachable from the outset. Henley lost an early wicket but Smith and Barber dug in and put on a good partnership, taking Henley to 60-1 before the former was out to the left-arm spinner who eventually took 5 wickets. A mini collapse ensued beyond belief, and with some late hitting by Kazmi, Henley were eventually bowled out for 106.

Henley need to improve quickly as they face Finchampstead on Saturday who have won two from two.



Henley 2s season opener at High Wycombe 2s was greeted with typical weather for the early stage of the cricket season; overcast and cold with a high probability of rain showers. At least it wasn’t so cold that we needed soup at drinks but it was pretty bleak nonetheless.

The team has a new look this season with stalwarts Horne and Yandell ploughing pastures new and 2013 Captain Jason Barber playing in the 1st XI along with Simon Wheeler giving Ranger, Birkett and new recruits from Beaconsfield Waqas Khan and Hamza Iqbal a chance to stake a further claim in the 2s.

Having lost the toss (and having avoided making a decision) captain Paul Smith led his side onto the field to bowl wearing black armbands in memory of Mary Nelson, a great club member and friend who tragically died earlier in the week after a brave battle against cancer.

Jewell  and Robinson started relatively steadily for High Wycombe but on a good track and with a fast scoring outfield they started to increase the tempo and after 22 overs they had scored at 5 an over. The only chance in the early stages of the innings being given by Robinson when on 37, the ball just failing to carry to Nick Johnson at first slip. Iqbal and Khan bowled well, especially against the left handed Jewell (86) but it was the leg spin of Sam Ranger that eventually broke the opening stand with the score on 116, Johnson taking a good catch at extra cover to dismiss Robinson (66). Deule was next in and looked far from fluent eventually falling LBW to Bezeidenhout, who bowled excellently on a batter friendly wicket, for 12 with the score on 144 and at this point Henley were fighting back well, High Wycombe being pegged back to 4 an over and a score of 240-250 looked likely. However wickets in hand are always a factor and so it proved as the rate accelerated to enable High Wycombe to declare on 272-5 from 50 overs following cameos from Russell (36) and skipper Keith Newell (33). Iqbal, in particular, bowled well at the end of the innings and finished with a creditable 3-74 from 14. The team can be proud of their hard work in the field, that score was only just par and it would have been easy to give up and let High Wycombe really get away.

After tea and some rain, early on, Alex Price and Paul Smith opened up for the visitors, Smith scored freely finding the ball coming onto the bat nicely and the new opening pair were running well between the wickets. They moved the score onto 33 before Price was trapped on his crease by Wilson, LBW 4. Johnson was in at 3, but never settled, he too was dismissed LBW. Boyce joined Smith and with a combination of stout defence and hard hitting attacking strokes they moved the score onto 55 from 14 but then the weather turned. First rain and then hail put an end to proceedings with Smith on 37 no and Boyce 12 no. Henley 7 points High Wycombe 11.

Some good performances so early in the season and with the expected return of Barber and Wheeler this Saturday when Henley 2s entertain Amersham at the Brakspear Ground (1pm) Henley can certainly take many positives from the game.